SUBSCRIBE TO BLOG VIA EMAIL
Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.
Scaffolding Legal Requirements in UAE
This is a blog about the subject “Scaffolding legal requirements in the construction industry in UAE” which is required to know by all the people involved in construction. In order to control or avoid accidents from the scaffolding related work, all the concerned regulatory authorities ,worldwide, issue regulations, rules, code of practice…etc for scaffolding installation and dismantling works. Let us go through the details of this blog “scaffolding legal requirements in the construction industry in UAE” in the following sessions.
Different regulations are applicable for different municipalities( Eg: Dubai Municipality, Abudhabi Municipality…etc) ,Authorities ( Eg: Dubai Technology and Media Freezone Authority , Dubai Silicon Oasis, ..etc) and Freezones( Like Port Custom and Freezone Corporation-Thrakees). If you are approaching a reputed scaffolding company in UAE for your work, they will take care of your scaffolding legal requirements.
Scaffolding Legal Requirements in the Construction Industry in UAE
The scaffolding legal requirements at various regions in UAE is governed by the concerned authorities in that area. The following are some of the requirements:-
Scaffolding Legal Requirements at Abudhabi
Code of Practice-(COP 26-Scaffolding )-of “Abudhabi Occupational health and safety System Framework (OSHAD-SF) applies to all employers within the emirates of Abudhabi. It is designed to incorporaterequirements set by OSHAD and sector regulatory in the Emirates of Abudhabi.
This COP applies to planning, assessment and control measures to the erection,use, maintenance, alterations, and dismantling of scaffolding, inspection and maintenance of scaffolding.
This code ofpractice says in details about the following requirements:-
- Training and competency
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Principal Contractors
- Planning and Assessment
- Risk Assessment
- Design of Scaffolding
- Ground Conditions
- Supporting Structure
- Stability of Scaffolding
- Design of Working Platform
- Safe erection of scaffolding
- Working Platforms
- Types of scaffolding
- Landing Places
- Access ,Egress
- Scaffold alteration
- Safe dismantling of scaffolding
You can download read the full Code of Practice of OSHAD from their website.
Chapter-8 –“Scaffolding safety” in the “code of construction safety practice” of Dubai Municipality .
The details of scaffolding legal requirements in Dubai is explained in this chapter some of which are as follows:
- All scaffolds must be erected, moved, dismantled or altered, only under the supervision of a competent persons and by skilled and experienced workers.
- Each scaffold and scaffold component shall be capable of supporting, without failure, its own weight and at least 4 times the maximum intended load applied or transmitted to it.
- Scaffolds cannot be erected, used, closer than 3 m (10 feet) near energized power lines to avoid any contact between the scaffold components and these power lines.
- Supported scaffolds with a height to base width ratio of more than four to one (4:1) shall be tied to the building structure vertically and horizontally. The first bottom tie must be placed no higher than four (4) times the minimum base width and vertical ties shall be repeated at intervals not greater than 8 m (26 feet). Horizontal ties shall be placed at each end and at intervals not greater than 9 m (30 feet).
- Supported and suspended scaffolds shall be inspected by a third party inspection body approved by Dubai Municipality and a proper certificate shall be issued by this company,
- The inspection will be repeated in case of any change on the location of erection or suspension.
This chapter in this book of “Code of construction Safety Practice “ says more about the scaffolding requirements in details related to the following :
- Scaffolds Foundation
- Scaffold Platform
- Safe scaffolds to Scaffolds
- Working Loads of Scaffolding
- Height of Scaffolding and number of working Platforms
- Scaffolds Materials
- Erection of Scaffolds
- Scaffold Ties
- Inspection and Maintenance
- Types of Scaffoldings
ScaffoldingLegal Requirements of Trakhees
Trakhees has its own regulation which is called “Construction Safety Regulations ( RegulationNo:CS/001) .The “Section 9 “ of this regulation is about “Scaffolding”.
General Requirements of this regulations:-
- All scaffolding will be erected by competent scaffolders to the standards outlined in the Dubai Municipality Code of Construction Safety Practice.
- All scaffolding must be fit for purpose and lightweight scaffolding is to be used only up to a maximum height of 10 metres and only where no materials are loaded onto the working platforms.
- Scaffolding shall be erected by competent scaffolders assessed by 3rd party organisation approved by EHS.
- The main contractor must appoint a suitably experienced ‘Scaffolding Supervisor’ who will be assessed and certified by a training organisation approved by EHS. The main contractor will only be permitted to erect scaffolding where the total height of the scaffold to the working platform does not exceed 10 meters.
This regulation details ,further, about the following:
- Design of the Scaffolding
- Erection of Scaffold over 10 meters
- Prevention of Falling Materials and Objects
- Inspection of Scaffolding
- Tagging of scaffolding
- Safe place of work
- Requirements for Scaffolding Tower
- Use of Safety Harness
- Safe place and Safe person strategy
You can read this regulation of Trakhees, in detail, from here. Similarly, You can have regulations from other municiplaities/authorities/Freezones from the concerned .
In addition to the local scaffolding regulations in UAE, it is better to know the international regulations , guidelines regarding the scaffolding work..
In order to ensure the compliance of law during the installation and dismantling of scaffolding in UAE , you can contract the work with a reputed scaffolding contractor in UAE